BORN 29 Aug 1866, Mönchengladbach, Nordrhein-Westfalen - DIED 1947, Roma, Lazio|
GRAVE LOCATION Roma, Lazio: Campo Santo Teutonico, Via di Porta Cavalleggeri
Max Roeder was the son of a merchant. He studied under Paul Nauen (1859-1932) at his studio in the Wunderbau in Düsseldorf. In 1886 he travelled to Italy and in 1888 he settled in Rome. His paintings reminded of Arnold Böcklin and were received well. In 1910 he exhibited at the Venice Bienale.
He became a member of the Academia Nationale di San Luca in 1913 and succeeded Othmar Brioschi there as a professor. During the First World War he lived in Germany, but he returned to Italy after the war. He never married and he was a close friend of Walter Amelung, also a bachelor. He died in 1947 in Rome.