BORN 1 Sep 1838, Weimar, Thüringen - DIED 21 Oct 1901, Dresden, Sachsen: Blasewitz|
GRAVE LOCATION Dresden, Sachsen: Johannisfriedhof, Wehlener Strasse 13, Tolkewitz (1 G)
Friedrich Preller was the youngest son of the painter Friedrich Preller (1804-1878). When he was thirteen years old he entered the studio of his father. In 1859 he travelled to Rome with his father and until 1862 he travelled to Naples and Sicily. In 1864 he visited Italy again and after his return in 1866 he moved to Dresden. There he had his own studio and from 1876 he received significant commissions. He created wall paintings for the Court Theatre and the Albertinum in Dreden and also for villas in Dresden, Leipzig and Eisenach.
In 1880 he became a professor at the Art Academy in Dresden. He travelled to Italy again and in 1891 he visited Greece. From 1884 onwards he lived in a house in Blasewitz in a house that he had designed himself in what is now Prellerstrasse 32. His wife was Antonie Rathgen (1844-1923), a daughter of the lawyer Bernhard Rathgen. His daughter Lucie married the sculptor Richard König and another daughter, Elina, married the painter Walther Witting. Preller died in Dresden in 1901 and the relief on his grave at the Johannisfriedhof was created by König.
Father: Preller, Friedrich
was teacher to Unger, Hans
Ehrhardt, Ingrid et all, Seelenreich, Die Entwicklung des deutschen Symbolismus 1870-1920, Prestel, München, 2000
Winkler Prins Encyclopedie (editie 1909), 1909
Friedrich Preller der JÃ¼ngere â€“ Wikipedia