Fra Angelico

BORN 1395, Vicchio, Toscana - DIED 18 Feb 1455, Roma, Lazio
BIRTH NAME Guido di Pietro da Mugello
GRAVE LOCATION Roma, Lazio: Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, Piazza della Minverva, 42

Fran Angelico was born Guido di Pietro. From 1408 to 1418 he painted frescoes at the Dominican friary of Cortona that are now lost. In 1418 he executed work at the Santo Stefano del Ponte. In 1423 he was referred to as Fra Giovanni and he lived at the convent of Fiesole near Florence as a member of the Dominican Order from 1418 to 1436.

In 1436 he moved to the new convent of San Marco in Florence. There Cosimo de' Medici necame his patron and he collaborated on the restoration of the San Marco in Florence. In 1439 he completed his well known San Marco Altarpiece in Florence. Pope Eugene IV called him to Rome to paint frescoes for the Chapel of the Holy Sacrament at St. Peter's Basilica. From 1447 to 1449 he worked at the Vatican to design fescoes for the Niccoline Chapel for Pope Nicholas V. He died in 1455 when he was staying at a Dominican convent in Rome.


The tomb of Fra Angelico at the Santa Maria sopra Minerva church in Rome.
Picture by Androom (24 Jan 2010)


Oosthoek Encyclopedie, 1948
Fra Angelico - Wikipedia

Fragonard, Alexandre-Évariste

Published: 28 Mar 2023
Last update: 28 Mar 2023