BORN 28 Jun 1852 - DIED 10 Sep 1938, London: Highbury|
CAUSE OF DEATH heart attack
GRAVE LOCATION London: Highgate Cemetery West, Swain's Lane, Highgate
Charles Cruft was the founder of Crufts dog show in 1878. He was educated at Birkbeck College in London and became a manufacturing jeweller like his father. But soon he left the company and he started working for James Spratt, the manufacturer of Spratt's dog biscuits. he married Charlotte Hutchinson in 1878 and they had four children. Also in 1878, he travelled in Europe for the company. He was to promote Spratt's dog cake at the Exposition Universelle in Paris and he was invited to run the dog show there. Further offers followed and he organised several dog shows. After Spratts was sold to Edward Wylan he became its general manager.
In 1891 he ran his first dog show that was named after himself at the Royal Agricultural Hall, Islington. He married his second wife Emma Isabel Hartshorn in 1984. His dog shows were visited by the Royal Family and Queen Victoria exbihited dogs herself. After the 45th Crufts dog show had taken place in 1938 he fell ill. He seemed to recover, but after a few months he died from a heart attack. In 1949 Emma published "Mrs Charles Cruft's Famous Dog Book".
Charles Cruft (showman) - Wikipedia