|ART COLLECTOR (SWITZERLAND)|
BORN 22 Aug 1902, Basel - DIED 23 Aug 1994, Locarno, Ticino: Solduna|
BIRTH NAME Hagenbach, Julie Marguerite
GRAVE LOCATION Locarno, Ticino: Cimitero di Santa Maria in Selva, Via Valle Maggia
Marguerite Hagenbach was the daughter of the chemist Hans Hagenbach. After she finished school she spent time in Geneva and London. After her return to Basel she attended a business school and the became the manager of Pro Juventute, a charitable foundation. She also took piano lessons at the conservatory.
In 1931 she spent seveal months in Greece. Back home she first met Hans Arp and his wife Sophie at the house of the collectors Annie and Oskar Müller-Widmann. She, Hans and Sophie became close friends. After her mother died in 1935 she started collecting art. In 1937 she bought paintings by Sophie Taeuber-Arp and Laszlo Moholy-Nagy. This was the start of a collection of constructivist and concrete art works.
In 1943 Sophie died and Marguerite supported Hans, frequently staying with him in Clamart and organising his practical life. They often travelled together, visiting the USA, Mexico, Greece and Israel. In 1959 they bought the Ronco dei Fiori property in Locarno and they married. They donated part of their collection to the city of Locarno in 1965. After Arp's death in 1966 she supported the search into the work of Hans and Sophie. In 1988 she gave the rest of her collection to the Fondazione Marguerite Arp-Hagenbach. She died in 1994 in Locarno and was buried with Hans and Sophie Arp.
Husband: Arp, Hans (1959-1966)
owned work of Schwitters, Kurt
owned work of Taeuber-Arp, Sophie