Franzoni, Filippo

PAINTER (SWITZERLAND)
BORN 8 Oct 1857, Locarno, Ticino - DIED 17 Mar 1911, Mendrisio, Ticino: Asylum
GRAVE LOCATION Locarno, Ticino: Cimitero di Santa Maria in Selva, Via Valle Maggia

Filippo Franzoni entered the Accademia di Belle Arti di Brera in Milan in 1876 and studied there until 1884 under Giuseppe Bertini and Luigi Bisi. In 1887 he installed himself in a studio on the island of Brissago, where he was a guest of the Russian baroness Antonietta Saint-Léger. At that time he was in contact with Daniele Ranzoni, Vittore Grubicy and Gaetano Previati. In 1888 he painted "Ritratto della domestica Margherita Massera".

In 1893 he returned to his native Locarno and lived at his parents house. From there he visited Paris, Munich and Venice. With Ferdinand Hodler he painted en plein air for a few months during the 1890s. He contributed to the establishment of the theatre that was opened in Locarno in 1902. In 1904 he temporarily lost his eyesight. Several of his works are owned by the Cantonal Art Museum of Lugano.

Towards the end of life he was ill and Margherite Massera cared for him. He died in Mendrisio in 1911.

Images

The grave of Filippo Franzoni at the Cimitero di Santa Maria in Selva in Locarno, Ticino.
Picture by Androom (14 Feb 2019)

 

Sources
Filippo Franzoni - Wikipedia


Frassetto, Fabio

Published: 12 Dec 2020
Last update: 12 Dec 2020