|PHILOLOGIST, LINGUIST, POET (ITALY)|
BORN 29 Jun 1758, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna - DIED 2 Jun 1817, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna: via Barberia|
GRAVE LOCATION Bologna, Emilia-Romagna: Cimitero monumentale della Certosa di Bologna, Via della Certosa 18 (Chiostro Terzo, arco 42)
Clotilda Tambroni was educated in Rome and Bologna. Although she didn't have the opportunity to obtain an academic degree, she became professor of Greek at the University of Bologna on 23 November 1793. In 1798 she refused to swear loyalty to the new Cisalpine government ans she lost her position. She went to Spain where she became a member of the Accademia Reale di Madrid.
After an intervention by Napoleon himself, she was restored to her position of Professor of Greek at the Accademia degli Inestricati in 1799 and her wages were raised in 1804. But eventually the chair of Greek was abolished and before that became effective she retired from her post in 1808. Her bust was sculpted by Adamo Tadolini under the supervision of Canova. Her work consisted mainly of poems writen in Greek.