|SCULPTOR, PAINTER (BELGIUM)|
BORN 12 Apr 1831, Brussel: Etterbeek - DIED 4 Apr 1905, Brussel: Ixelles|
REAL NAME Meunier, Constantin Émile
GRAVE LOCATION Brussel: Ixelles Cimetière (Pelouse S)
Constant Meunier was educated in Brussels. He took sculpting
lessons with Fraikin and painting lessons with Charles de Groux.
He first exhibited at the Salon in Brussels in 1851. De Groux
advised him to concentrate on painting and he did so. "The Salle
St Roch" (1857) was his first painting of importance.|
In 1880 he received a commission to illustrate parts of Camille Lemonnier's "Le Tour du monde" resulting in paintings of workers in mines and factories. In 1882 the government asked him to copy "Descent from the Cross" by Pedro de Campaña and in Seville he painted many more pictures. After his return to Belgium he became a professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Louvain.
In later years he returned to sculpting. He produced many more works and was one of the founders of the Société Libre des Beaux-Arts. He died in 1905 in Brussels.
is brother/sister of Meunier, Jean-Baptiste
designed grave monument of Ysaye, Eugène
Constantin Meunier - Wikipedia
Winkler Prins Encyclopedie (editie 1909), 1909