BORN 2 Jun 1817, Castle Bromwich, West Midlands - DIED 23 Dec 1892, London: Westminster: 13 Great Queen Street|
GRAVE LOCATION London: Kensal Green Cemetery, Harrow Road, Kensal Green (065/PS/33942)
John Gibson was educated in Birmingham. At first he worked for Joseph Hansom and in 1835 he became the assistant of Sir Charles Barry in London. He worked there until 1844, when he won the competition for the National Bank of Scotland. This project was completed in 1847. In 1862 he designed the National Provincial Bank in Bishopsgate, London, now known as Gibson Hall.
He designed several churches in North Wales. Another creation, Todmorden Town Hall, was opened in 1875. In 1890 he received the Royal Gold Medal for services to architecture. He died in 1892 in London.
Paths of Glory, The Friends of Kensal Green Cemetery, London, 1997