BORN 18 Feb 1889, Berlin - DIED 13 Nov 1981, Burgbrohl, Rheinland-Pfalz|
GRAVE LOCATION Hamburg: Ohlsdorfer Friedhof, Fühlsbüttler Strasse 756 (AD15 (139-142))
Son of a business man. He was keen on drawing from an early age and in 1907 he met George Kolbe and Richard Scheibe. He worked in Scheibe's studio and a lifelong friendship resulted.
During his first years as a sculptor he exclusively produced sculptures of animals. He joined the First World War in 1914 but returned home ill in 1915. In 1918 he became a teacher at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Berlin. He cooperated with Walter Gropius and was the leader of a pottery department of the Bauhaus in Dornburg until 1924.
After the Bauhaus moved to Dessau in 1925 he moved to Halle where he worked until 1933. In that year he was fired by the nazis. His work was shown on the Degenerate Art exhibition of 1937. He was no longer able to exhibit his works and in 1943 many of his works were lost when his studio in Berlin was bombed.
After the war he became Professor at the Landeskunstschule in Hamburg. After four years he moved to Cologne. In 1953 his famous statue of the Bremen Town Musicians was placed in Bremen. In 1971 the Gerhard-Marcks-Haus in Bremen was opened in his honour.
was a friend of Feininger, Lyonel
executed grave monument for Scheibe, Richard