|ART COLLECTOR, ART DEALER (AUSTRIA)|
BORN 30 Apr 1837, Wien - DIED 9 Aug 1925, Paris|
GRAVE LOCATION Paris: Montmartre Cimetičre, 20 Avenue Rachel (division 28)
Charles Sedelmeyer started as an art dealer in Vienna in 1854. In 1860 he married Thérčse Brunner. They had five surviving daughters. When he was twenty the family moved to Paris. He started out small, but later he bought the mansion of Madame de Sancy at 6 rue de La Rochefoucauld and he operated from there.
In 1875 he exhibited the work of Jan Van Goyen. In 1878 he bought Munkácsy's "The Blind Milton Dictating Paradise Lost to his Daughters" and he offered him a ten-year contract afterwards. Munkácsy painted him in 1879. He arranged an exhibition of the workds of Tissot in 1885. In 1890 he sold the collection of Prosper Crabbe (1827-1889).
In 1893 he bought the castle of Ambleville and he restored it. He became a French citizen in 1895. After his wife died in 1907 he decided to sell most of his own collection. Gabriel Ferrier painted him in 1911. He died in 1925 in Paris. His daughter Émilie married the sculptor Stanislaus Lami and his daughter Hermine married the painter Václav Brozík.
was painted by Munkácsy, Mihály
Charles Sedelmeyer â€” WikipĂ©dia