BORN 19 Jun 1790, Conwy (near) - DIED 27 Jan 1866, Roma|
GRAVE LOCATION Roma, Lazio: Cimitero Acattolico, Via Caio Cestio 6 (Zona Prima, 737)
John Gibson went to Rome in 1817 and there he studied under Canova and after 1822 under Thorvaldsen. He settled in Rome permanently and became a Royal Academician in 1836. In Rome he was in a relationship with the artist Penny Williams.
His intention to create coloured statues like in ancient Greece caused commotion. In 1854 he created his "Tinted Venus". It was exhibited at the International Exhibition in 1862 and is now at the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool. Reactions at the time were mixed.
His statue of William Huskisson is located at Pimlico Gardens in London. In Chichester there is a monument from his hand for Huskisson's wife. His best known works were his bas-reliefs "The Hours Leading the Horses of the Sun" and "Phaethon driving the Chariot of the Sun".
is brother/sister of Gibson, Benjamin
designed grave monument of Gibson, Benjamin