Wagner-Jauregg, Julius

PSYCHIATRIST (AUSTRIA)
BORN 7 Mar 1857, Wels, Oberösterreich - DIED 27 Sep 1940, Wien
GRAVE LOCATION Wien: Zentralfriedhof, Simmeringer Hauptstraße 234, Simmering (Gruppe 32 C, nummer 18 (Ehrengrab))

Julius Wagner-Jauregg studied Medicine in Vienna from 1874 to 1880. In 1880 he became a doctor and from 1883 to 1887 he worked at the Psychiatric Clinic with Max Leidesdorf. In 1889 he succeeded Richard von Krafft-Ebing as professor at the University of Graz. He discovered that fever could have a positive effect on psychiatric patients and published on this in 1887. He continued his research in later years and the treatment became known as pyrotherapy.

In 1893 he became Director of the Niederösterreichischen Landesheil- und Pflegeanstalt für Nerven- und Geisteskranke. From 1902 onwards he was the Director of the Psychiatrische Klinik der Wiener Universität and 1911 he returned to his former post.

He found out that oculation of malaria parasites had a positive effect on people who suffered from dementia paralytica caused by neurosyphilis. For this he received the Nobel Prize in 1927.

In 1928 he retired, but he employed activities until his death in 1940. Only in 2004 is became known that he had believed in racial purity and had tried to join the nazi party shortly before his death. He was refused posthumously because his first wife Balbine Frumkin had been Jewish (Around 1903 he had divorced Balbine and he had two children by his second wife Anna Koch).

After a comprehensive investigation it was concluded that he hadn't done much wrong and his grave at the Zentralfriedhof in Vienna remained a grave of honour.

Related persons
• has a connection with Girardi, Alexander

Sources
Wagner-Jauregg, Julius
• Budig, Robert S. et al, Ehrengräber am Wiener Zentralfriedhof, Compress Verlag Wien, Wien
Julius Wagner-Jauregg - Wikipedia

Images

The grave of Julius Wagner von Jauregg at the Zentralfiedhof, Vienna.
Picture by Androom (26 Aug 2002)

 


Wagner-Planer, Minna

Published: 21 Mar 2010
Last update: 28 Mar 2010