BORN 4 Nov 1869, Bremen - DIED 5 Nov 1947, Hamburg|
GRAVE LOCATION Hamburg: Ohlsdorfer Friedhof (Gedächtnisfriedhof)
Fritz Schumacher came from a rich family. His father worked as
a diplomat for the German Empire. He was trained as an architect
by Gabriel van Seidl in Munich and in Leipzig he was involved
in the construction of the Neues Rathaus. From 1901 to 1909
he was professor at the Technische Hochschule in Dresden.|
From 1909 to 1920 he was Baudirector in Hamburg. During that time the Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte and the Davidwache at the Reeperbahn were built. In 1920 Konrad Adenauer asked him to come to Cologne, but in 1924 he returned to Hamburg, this time as Oberbaudirektor (City Architect).
In 1933 he was forced to retire and he started travelling and lecturing. In 1937 and 1939 he won the Goethe-Medallie für Kunst und Wissenschaft. In 1944 he delivered a speech about the reconstruction of Hamburg after the war. He died in 1947 in Hamburg.
was pupil to Seidl, Gabriel von