Opened for burials: 1801
The Certosa di Bologna is a cemetery located just outside the former city walls. It is a cemetery since 1801. Before that it was a Carthusian monastery that was founded in 1334 and existed until it was closed in 1797 after the Napoleontic troups had entered that part of Italy. In 1869 traces of an Etruscan necropolis were discovered. The cemetery was visited by Lord Byron, Charles Dickens, Stendhal and others to see the many monumental tombs.